We found our home through my former professor at the University of Cincinnati. He had grown up in this home in Detroit and his mother moved there in 1968. She raised 6 kids and eventually fell into bad health in about 2011. The home became vacant as she moved into assisted living. While it was vacant a water pipe burst on the 3rd floor and destroyed about 1/4 of the home over the course of 2-3weeks of water pouring in. 2 bathrooms, a bedroom, and the kitchen were all destroyed and had to be taken down to studs. The family didn't want to spend the money to fix it since they knew their mother would likely never be able to return, and many of the kids had moved out of Detroit and out of state. We bought the home from them because of its potential, its beautiful curved plaster ceilings, and the opportunity to make our own decisions about what we wanted. It was full of the previous owner's junk which we spent the next 2 weeks filling 4 30ft dumpsters with junk before we could even get started.
1. We re supported cracked and damaged joists and improved the structural integrity of the home.
2. We opened up walls and created new archways to match existing ones and change the layout of the home.
3. We removed carpet and wallpaper
4. We replaced plumbing
5. We installed AC
Our contractors Maxwell Construction did almost all of this work for us. We have only 6 months to get our home livable and they have been a godsend to us with our full time jobs.
we're still deep in our rehab process but people can follow it on medium.com/between-6-and-7
1. We repaired and replaced plumbing throughout the home
2. we had professional plaster repair done and some drywall work
3. we Installed new custom cabinetry in the kitchen
4. we converted an original jack-and-jill bath and adjacent guest bedroom into a giant Master Bath Suite
5. we rehung all doors
6. we converted a 2nd floor closet into a 2nd floor laundry space
7. Converted an original 1920s bathroom with tub into a tub shower with new plumbing for shower supply.
8. we installed new custom cut baseboard and trim where missing
9. refinished master staircase and spindles
10. refinished original flooring
11. Rehabbed and powdercoated 18 steam radiators and reinstalled
12. We finally moved in!
Ask a question in our Q&A forum. Experts are standing by.Ask now