some walls have a dark mold on them and not sure how to get rid of it. I was thinking just spray it with bleach, but there may be other approaches?
I would first suggest ensuring that the source of the moisture -- leaks, etc. -- is addressed or the problem will persist.
I would also highly suggest getting a mold tester out there to determine what kind of mold it is and how dangerous the situation is for you or not. I have used Marc Richman of Mold and Remediation Consultants (810) 990-6272) and really liked and trusted him (it was a few hundred dollars for testing two rooms). He can recommend mold remediation companies that he trusts (he's helped us with recommendations for other contractors and we've like them a lot).
But whether you use him or not, I would recommend having a professional look at this. You may need to tear out plaster/drywall to get to the source and to completely eliminate the mold. Bleach only addresses the surface and temporarily. Good luck!
Hi there! To remove black mold there are many black mold removal products you may get online. We have not used bleach yet to remove the mold. You may also take the help from a contractor to remove the mold. Few days back when we got mold damage in the house. I was searching online to take the help from a mold removal company to repair the mold and also for filing an insurance claim to repair the mold damage. While searching online I got to know about this site, such as http://allclaimsusa.com/does-homeowners-insurance-cover-mold for filing an insurance claim to get the mold repair done.
Ask a question in our Q&A forum. Experts are standing by.Ask now
I wouldn't use bleach... except for the initial wipe down. It actually can come back. Use Concrobium and rent a cold mist fogger to fog all of the surfaces you plan to leave in the space. You can get them both from Home Depot. For things you can throw away I would mist with bleach and water first so dry spores won't fly everywhere, then rip it out and garbage bag it. The most important thing is to not spread the spores all over the place, to wear a proper mask, eye protection and protective clothing... all of which you can get cheap from Home Depot.
Here are some decent instructions.
Removing black mold is a step-by-step process that requires patience, an investment in protective gear and black mold removal products, and, of course, the courage to brave dark, cramped spaces inhabited by toxic fungus.
First, you must remove the source of any moisture from the affected area. If any leaks or persistent condensation aren't alleviated, the mold will likely reappear after removal.
Next, seal any doorways or other openings leading to other areas of the home, place heavy plastic over them, then seal the plastic in place with duct tape. If there are outdoor openings in the room, place an exhaust fan near them to help remove mold spores from the room.
Wear a respirator or a facemask rated for black mold spore protection, and cover arms, legs and hands to avoid contact with mold spores. Use soap and a sponge to remove visible mold. If the moldy area is dry, lightly spray with water, as this will reduce the incidence of airborne mold spores during cleaning. Next, use commercial black mold removal products, which can be found in most hardware or home repair stores, to disinfect the moldy areas, in addition to any adjacent areas. If you use bleach, make sure it won't discolor the material or surface. Place all sponges, equipment and other materials used in cleaning in a heavy duty garbage bag, and if possible, remove the bag through an nearby exit as opposed to the main house, to avoid distributing mold spores.